Rock hyrax (Procavia capensis).
Now here is a dilemma for you… according to the experts and all the books, the closest living relative of the Dassie is the .. wait for it… ELEPHANT…
Do they even look alike.? One is 4 kg in weight and the other up to 6000 kg. A big Dassie may reach 0.3 of a metre in height and the other 4 metres…
But seeing as the experts say it is I wont argue… they are found all over South Africa and almost over all of Africa south of the Sahara… A few interesting facts….
- The forage and feed off grass and leaves. (Vegetarians)
- They have been known to eat insects and grubs. (Not so vegetarians)
- They will forage up to 50 metres from their homes.
- They climb trees, and have been found eating fruit from trees.
- They have a sentry system and when warned hurry quickly back to their refuge.
- They even have a toilet, where the whole herd will do their business. That herd can be as big as 80 individuals.
- And they will even take up residence next to the sea, and that is where I photographed this herd, catching a tan. (some one should tell them they need to undress to catch a tan..